Sunday, July 20, 2014

Rant for "Images of Women in Theatre"

This was from 2013, for "Images of Women in Theatre" class at NYU. We were asked to submit a memory, monologue, rant, or prayer, like the Eve Ensler book.

If you know me well, certainly a rant was my medium of choice.

A Rant by Francesca Erni

Dearest loves of my heart, people that I care about: fucking shut your mouth. Wait, understand that I don't want you to be silent. That is the opposite of my desire. I want you speak freely and without shame. That is why I ask you first kindly to shut it, and learn my purpose.

You are all beautiful. You are all ugly. So am I, both together. You can be brilliant, and ignorant as hell. So am I, both together and it cheers me to say so. Tell me if I am wrong! I like nothing better than to learn. Honored is the person who allows herself to be as ugly and multifaceted as any man.

When I ask your opinion, promise you'll never again give this reply:
". . . I have nothing to say. I don't know anything about it."

This is foolish! This is so goddamned tragic that it burns in me with frustration.
This answer is easy, and lazy, and false! I know. I've given it myself. But never again.

You put in time in this world. You were raised in a way that molded you permanently, like feet bound to fit into a smaller shoe. You arrived at this point, partly by chance, partly by circumstance, and partly through your own decisions. To claim ignorance is to erase, to waste, and to lie.

I thought I was not the type made for academia. I thought I would never be the type to make serious decisions, or take risks. But here I am. I'm in the high place, that special, blissful state of accomplishment -- the place no one in my family has been. And freedom hurts, and I love it. And I'm with you, so I already have some idea of how you got here. You worked hard. You had purpose, and means, and a certain amount of luck. You know what exists in the future for a woman, and you decided to find out why. And guess what? You have the opportunity to get that answer.

Please, think enough of yourself to realize you have an opinion. Please remember it's fine to be wrong, and even finer to be right. But the greatest gift of all is the ability to have an opinion, a thought in your head. Of all the people on television, and radio, in magazines and newspaper columns, published in academic journals and seated at congress, who are allowed to spew opinions, how many are worthwhile? You would think we 'ordinary people' would be more outspoken. We live the stories told in the news. The ordinary are the inspiration.

So for the love of women, please do something besides listen. True love is in a stunning sentence, a thought connection made, an understanding. Show some love.

Spring 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment